VHI Women's Mini Marathon 2017 (10km)
CALLING MOM'S AND DAUGHTERS... CROI NEED YOU!
Croí Heart & Stroke Charity are calling all mom's and daughters to wear red for Croí Women at Heart this June, and walk, jog or run the annual VHI Women's Mini Marathon in Dublin. The 10km event, which takes place Monday 5th June 2017, is the biggest women's event of its kind in the world! We're looking to bring a team of 50 fabulous ladies to Dublin and help raise awareness and funds for Croí Women at Heart.
Croí Women at Heart
The face of heart disease is changing. Once considered 'a man’s disease'; the number of deaths from heart disease and stroke are now virtually the same for men and women. Women at Heart is a campaign by Heart & Stroke Charity Croí to educate and empower women to make their heart health a priority. The aim of the Campaign is to highlight the prevalence of heart disease & stroke among Irish women.
Some facts about heart disease in women:
- 1 in 2 Irish Women will die of cardiovasular disease.
- Irish women are 7 times more likely to die from cardiovascular disease than breast cancer.
- Almost 5,000 Irish women die every year from cadiovasucalar disease. That's 5,000 families without a mother, sister, aunt, niece, gran - a loved one!
- 90% of heart disease & stroke is preventable through lifestyle change and risk factor modification!
VHI Women's Mini Marathon
The Vhi Women's Mini Marathon is the biggest all women's event of its kind in the world. It has grown from its beginnings in 1983 with almost 9,000 participants to a staggering 41,006 women participating in 2014.
Fun Facts about the event:
- It is the biggest all-women’s event of its kind in the world!
- Since it was first run in 1983, there has been a total entry of nearly 958,000 women.
- Approximately €197m euro has been raised for charity since its beginning in 1983
- About 25 miles of specially designed ribbon is used for the medals
- Women of every age and every walk of life take part -while the majority would be in the 25 to 45 age brackets, in the 2015 race there were more than 379 participants over 70 years of age!
Join Team Croí
If you are interested in taking part in this event you must register direclty with the organisers (registration open 1st March).
Register at: www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie
To start raising funds for Croí you can setup an online fundraising page HERE
or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a sponsorship card.