Heart & Stroke Centre
The 'Croí Heart & Stroke Centre' provides a range of evidence-based programmes and interventions which are delivered under medical supervision and are specifically designed for those concerned about their heart health and general wellbeing.
The ‘Croí Heart & Stroke Centre’ operates at two levels:
As an Institute for Prevention, Rehabilitation, Research & Education;
- Providing teaching & training for nurses, doctors, and allied health care professionals in collaboration with Universities and other Education & Research Centres.
- Participating in research into the impact of lifestyle and behavioural change for at-risk individuals (e.g. My Action, HeartSmart programmes)
- Developing and delivering innovative programmes that cannot be accessed elsewhere eg: CPR & defibrillation training to disparate community groups; behaviour & lifestyle change programmes; diagnostic and rehabilitation programmes.
As a Community-based Centre for Patient & Family Support, Health & Wellbeing;
- The focus is on providing support and education to patients and their families pre and post hospital....before and after a cardiac or stroke event.
- Providing short-stay, accommodation for patients and relatives of patients who need to be close to the hospital, pre- or post-procedure. There are three self-catering apartments available each with their own private entrances.
- Developing and delivering health and wellbeing programmes & activities for all ages.
- Providing information and support for members of the public but particularly for patients and families impacted by heart & stroke health issues.
The ‘Heart & Stroke Centre’ also has conference and training rooms with video conferencing facilities allowing the institute to link in with universities, hospitals, and training centres around the world. Training rooms are equipped to deliver life-saving courses in CPR, Defibrillation, Stroke recognition & Choking resuscitation to a wide variety of groups, from allied health care professionals, community groups, through to mums & toddler groups.
There is also a large exercise & fitness facility in the centre with specially trained staff who work with people at risk of, or recovering from heart and stroke events. Exercise programmes are designed so they can be replicated in the home. Courses like light exercise and yoga, specific to stroke and heart patients, run alongside general fitness programmes.
Three self-contained apartments are located on-site, so that families in need may stay close to the hospital while a loved one in undergoing surgery or receiving stroke or coronary care. Each unit features a large twin bedroom, kitchen/living room and ensuite bathrooom. Each apartment has it's own private entrance, just a ten minute walk from University Hospital Galway.
Specialised Cardiac Health & Lifestyle Programmes now available in the 'Croí Heart & Stroke Centre':
If you are overweight or not taking regular exercise, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, have a family history of heart disease or stroke, have diabetes or are a smoker, then joining one of our health and lifestyle programmes at the 'Croí Heart & Stroke Centre' is the first step to improved health and a longer life.
For further details, please contact:
Heart & Stroke Centre Administrator
Tel: 091 893500